Landscape & Maintenance Personnel
The Essa and District Agricultural Society (EDAS) is seeking seasonal part/full time Landscape & Maintenance Team Members to help maintain 100-acres of property located at the Essa Agriplex (7505 10th Line, Thornton Ontario). This property is home to the annual Barrie Fair, Essa National Draft Horse Show, and many other events throughout the summer.
Personnel will be responsible for maintaining the grounds throughout the event season (May to October). The public use the facility heavily during the summer, therefore grass, gardens and cleanliness are paramount areas of upkeep. The EDAS is looking for individuals with superior work ethic and landscaping experience to join our small team. An ability to operate landscape and farm equipment, as well as daily lifting is essential. Experience working around livestock, especially horses, is preferred.
- Responsible for weekly landscaping; duties include garden beds and planter care, watering, grass cutting, edging, trimming and pruning. Knowledge in lawns, trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals preferred, but not a necessity.
- Horse show preparation including building and removing horse stalls. Ring maintenance, grooming and watering. Horse jump setup and takedown.
- Cleaning out (mucking) of horse stalls and livestock pens
- Daily operation of equipment such as tractors, loaders, mowers, trimmers, and gators.
- Heavy lifting is a regular part of day-to-day operations: sandbags, garbage bins, horse stalls and jumps. Lifting on and off wagons.
- Event setup/takedown, this can include table and chairs, gate/pen setup, garbage, and general property maintenance.
- Event setup/ takedown can include working longer hours; this is especially true for the weeks leading up to the annual Barrie Fair in the month of August (August 27 to 30 2020). Those chosen to join our team must be willing to complete a job or stay longer when necessary to prepare for an event.
- Additional duties include painting, washroom maintenance, garbage removal and restocking.
- Working outdoors, in full sun, and windy conditions at times. Rain or shine working environment.
- Punctuality and reliability are essential, timelines for events fluctuate and staff need to be able to adapt to longer days when necessary.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a reliable source of transportation to and from work. Must have a clean driving record, as personnel will be using company equipment daily.
- Must possess a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to get along and interact with the public.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Experience working in horse shows seen as a major asset, including ring grooming and stall mucking.
- Up to date with WHMIS, onsite training will be provided.
- A criminal record check is required.
- Safety boots required.
Seasonal Part-Time or Full-Time.
A starting wage rate of $15.25 per hour based on experience. Interested applicants can send documentation to email@example.com.
Start Date: April 2020
Work Schedule: Will vary based on event schedule. Applicants are expected to be flexible with weekday and weekend work depending on demand and projects.
Volunteers are always welcome, whether you wish to help with the Barrie Fair, need 40 hours of community service, or you are looking to help with general labour. Please include your area of interest: the Barrie Fair, horse shows, landscaping/horticulture, manual labour, or office support.